Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bell Pepper Pesto Tortellini

Bell Papper Pesto Tortellini tossed in garlic and red chilli pepper flakes-infused EVOO is the proper name, but it seemed too long for this blog title.  :-P  But basically... that is what it is!  I'm kind of proud of this recipe since I came up with it all on my own and it was really tasty!  It's so suuuuper easy... it might not count as an orginal recipe.  O_O

First, run to Trader Joe's and pick up a bag or two or three of their dry tortellini.  I accidently discovered them when browsing the aisles.  (So dangerous!)  I got the pesto filled ones... though only cause I couldn't find any of their three-cheese ones on the shelf.  :(  I suuuuppose you could use fresh/real tortellini but mini ones that have shelf life is like... so much better.  Especially for a GREAT quick, ahhh-I-have-nothing-to-cook! emergency, meatless (nothing to defrost/thaw) meal.  :]  Plus, it was only $3 for the pesto one ($2 or $2.50 for the three-cheese one, I believe) and I used it for two meals.

Trader Joe's Tortellini with Pesto Filling

Boil water, cook tortellinis according to instructions.  Remember (something I don't...) the cute little mini tortillinis will EXPAND.  :-P  So about half the bag (1/2 lb) was good enough for the TWO of us for one meal.  (Though it might help to have a side dish or some garlic bread.)

Then dice up (little square bits) some red and green bell peppers.  (Both mostly for color.)

Add EVOO to a pot, enough to toss the pasta in (not for it to swim in).  Don't put too much oil and keep the heat low (about a simmer) since you don't want to fry your tortellinis or have oil speckle/splatter on you.

Add garlic and red chilli flakes (optional but so delicious if you can handle a little spicy) and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes.  You can also throw whatever spices you want in.  :oD

Tip: If you don't own or want to buy red chilli flakes, save some little packets from the next time you order a pizza  :-P

Throw in the bell peppers and let that simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until you decide it's ready!  :oP  Mostly let the garlic and chilli flakes infuse their flavors into the oil, and to soften the bell peppers (and get good flavor into them too!)

Red and green bell peppers chilling out (though I'm sure it was very hot) aka simmering in EVOO.

Hopefully by this point, your tortellinis are ready, drained and waiting!  Try not to overcook them since they kinda start to unravel and the filling falls out.

Combine the tortellini and bell peppers with EVOO.  Toss.  Eat.  Enjoy!  :-D

Bell Pepper EVOO Pesto Tortellini!

The above picture might look a little dry since all the oil probably dripped underneath the tortellinis and... I might've started eating before I remembered to take a picture.  It.  Was.  Really.  Good.  If I can say that about something I cooked.  haha.  Easy peasy and delicious!

I'm not good at the whole measuring bit (at least when I come up with recipes)... and good thing this one doesn't have too much of that... so I'll say... you should just do it.  As in... just make it up.  :oP  Or if you absolutely need some numbers for guidence... to prepare this dish for two people:

- 1/2 lb TJ Tortellini w/ Pesto Filling (adjust accordingly if you're using bigger ones or another kind)
- Half a green bell pepper, diced
- Half a red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup of EVOO
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- FATTY pinch of red chilli flakes, maybe two  ;]

You could probably include chicken or other veggies to bulk it up.  Like I  mentioned before, I definitely suggest having some garlic bread to go with it.  Extra deliciousness.  :-D
           

1 comment:

  1. i've never tried their dry tortellini, we usually get the refrigerated kind from safeway or wherever. i bet the dry stuff lasts longer though, will have to try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...